OH how I will miss her. Roma has really been amazing, although I cannot say a once in a lifetime experience because I hope to come back again! Today is my last day and tomorrow morning at 8:15am local time we catch a van a bunch of us rented to the airport. I'll take an 11am flight through Athens, have about a 4 1/2 hour layover, and get into Istanbul (properly pronounced with the accent on the "tan" part like is-TAHN-bul) around 8pm. The good thing is that many of my friends from here are on the same flight, so we will be travelling as a pack. Such power in the pack...
I don't really know how to summarize Roma. Of course it has been amazing, interesting, wonderful, weird, strange, hot, humid, puzzling, infuriating, euphoric, and probably a hundred other emotions all in the span of 6 weeks, and sure I took an amazing number of photos (and have begun trading photos with friends, which expands my collection manyfold), but I don't feel there is really any way to summarize it en-mass. Like learning architecture from a book as opposed to going out and really touching it, Roma can not really be described solely in words. The best record I have is, of course, my memory, which cannot be shared with anyone else completely. Something inevitably gets lost in translation -- even as you say the words they've already not come out the way you planned. But the memories last a long, long time. I feel it was very appropriate that my studio project was slated as a "Museum of Memory", and that is truely where I would like keep Roma...in my own personal museum inside my head.
Alison (my professor) left for Turkey today, but before she left we all learned to count to ten in Turkish. It wasn't easy. I'm not sure I actually remember it, but at one point I learned it. Istanbul will only be a 10 day adventure, but I hope to be able to soak it up at least enough to know whether I would like to go back some day or not. It sounds like a very intriguing place, with lots of cultural changes to experience, different foods to eat, and things to see and do. Wish me luck. I may try and post one more time if I get the chance, but I have a lot to take care of today before I leave early tomorrow, so no guarantees. If I don't talk to you again until I get there, I say hoşçakal!
PS If you are interested, you can get a brief summary of Istanbul here.
2 comments:
Enjoy Turkey Man, I loved it there. All I remember in Turkish, excuse the spelling (phoentic), "Bier biera esteyoorrum!" - I would like another beer! Have fun!
PA
I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»
Post a Comment