Saturday, June 24, 2006

My First Lazy Saturday

Its hot outside and its siesta time, so I doubt there's going to be too much I have to say today. But we did go one great place today.

This morning we got together as a class and we went to the Musei Capitolini Centrale Montemartini. (If you click on this it will take you to the Google translation of the Museum's webpage). It is in an old industrial space they have converted into a museum gallery space. It was originally the first public electricity plant in Rome, named after Giovanni Montemartini. Now it is the second exhibition centure of the Musei Capitolini, and contains an outstanding collection of classical sculpture from the excavations carred out in Rome at the turn of the 19th century.


The greatest thing about the museum is that the industrial machinery left behind forms a striking backdrop for the classical sculpture. Rather than have a white painted wall or even a fresco behind a piece of sculpture, here the freshly painted metal, gears and springs somehow make the marble of the sculptures appear much softer and organic. Clarity through Contrast. I love it.


...I think I'm going to go to sleep now. It is siesta after all. See you 2morrow.

No comments: