Friday, June 16, 2006

Why is Tomorrow So Far Away?

That's right tomorrow is the day. Today I did the last of my shopping for Italy (over $100 worth of art supplies, a couple power convertors and yet another book) and I'm starting the packing process. I've tried to be as organized about this as possible...I don't know, though. I've never left home for 2 months before (the previous record being a little over a month when Carin and I drove cross-country to Portland). There's a lot of extra stuff you have to think about when you know you can't just go to the 24 hour pharmacy any time you want to pick up extra contact solution or some baggies. You never know what you're going to need.

That comes to the more personal side of it, I think. I've always been a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of guy, knowing that resources, directions or whatever I needed was just a few steps away (the middle of the Arizona desert was a little taste of being "far from familiar", but not like Italy). I therefore have not always been the best planner, knowing that whatever I forgot would be available to me. Now its not like I'm going to a 3rd world country or something here, but there is something to be said about the extra work that goes into leaving home for 2 months as opposed to a couple of weeks. But I ramble...

Anyway tomorrow is the big day...I depart from Portland at 4:40pm PST. I don't land in Rome until 9:45pm on Sunday with time changes and everything.
For those of you who have been wondering here's a little "world time zone" image I stole from the internet. According to the map, Rome is 9 hour ahead of the West Coast, making it only 7 hour different from the Midwest (sorry Mom, but this time I'm sure)! And there you have it.

Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments: