

The Pantheon was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I guess I could say I have waiting my entire architectural career to see this buidling, and it did not disappoint. The stonework in general was amazing, the architectural detail was stunning and the occulus (the big hole in the ceiling) was a lot bigger than I thought it was. Its funny how you study something for years and years and then when you finally see it, it is both familiar and completely fresh and new. The Pantheon is the best preserved example of architecture from Roman antiquity and, while it has changed greatly over the millenia (how many buildings can you say THAT about?) it is somehow as relavent today as it ever has been.
Though I've seen a lot, here are just a few more pix of the Pantheon...some of my favorites.




One more thing...today, Italia played the Czech Republic in the World Cup. The entire Campo de Fiori was PACKED with people at the different bars and local establishments watching football (soccer). The best thing is every time Italia scored a goal the entire Campo absolutely erupted with cheering, horns and screaming. I have never experienced another sporting event first hand that was as intense and amazing as this.At any rate, tomorrow I will fill you in on some more of the sites I've been able to see over the last couple of days.
CIAO!
1 comment:
GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!
Just wait until Italy beats Brazil in their next game. I went to a world cup game at Stanford Stadium in 1994. The US played Brazil on the 4th of July. It was crazy. Like no other sporting event in the world.
I remember being in Italy and seeing the plazas filled with people watching soccer. Nutty. Sounds like you are having an awesome experience.
cheers.
morgan
Post a Comment