Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sunday: A Day at the Beach

Today I took my first trip to the coast of Italy and it was unbelievable. 90% of us caught a train this morning to Anzio, a small town that originally grew up on the fishing industry along Italy's west coast. The train ride took about an hour going there (though it took almost 1:45 coming back!) and the train only cost €2.90!

This is a view of the port where all the boats park. Anzio also has a huge beach (of course) where I spent a little time, but I spent most of my time in the shade walking through charming little streets who's architecture reminds me of southern California a little bit, or pictures I've seen of coastal Spanish architecture. The beach was packed with people, many of whom look like they spend plenty of time in the sun!










There's a cute little lighthouse on the beach you can see in the 2nd picture above. Also, perhaps more importantly, there is actually something of historical significance in the same picture. All along the beach here you can see remnants of the Nero's Villa, an ancient summer getaway for the last Roman emperor of the Julio-Claudian dynasty. Its in amazing condition considering its 2000 year age. Everything here is so old!

No comments: